9.14.2010

Entryway



This is the entryway looking from the laundry room. The door is dark and very beaten up and the handle is the same nasty brass as the laundry. We know that the previous owner had two big dogs that he let chew on whatever they liked, as the door shows it, as well as the fact that he... or someone, had a penchant for kicking it. :/

The teeny round white ball thing you see on the wall covers a small hole where the door handle had been bashed into the wall numerous times. When we start painting, that hole will be patched and the little protector will probably go back as it works perfectly.


As you can see I found a home for the pretty knob "hanger" I bought at Homegoods. Can hang my purse there on the go, as well as my book bag and a jacket once it starts and sticks to being cold around here. (last week it was in the 60's, this week we're back to being closer to 90 degrees. The cool was nice while it lasted.) As you go down the hallway, to the left is the bathroom and the door you see straight ahead is the bedroom. And at the end of the hall is the living room.

On the wall with the picture frame, underneath we plan to put a table. I'll have a bowl there for keys, a little box for in-going and out-going mail, and a spot to put more flowers. :D



Here are the lights I was referring to in the last 'Laundry' post. They're older than me and have seen better days. 




What I want to do...

• New flooring. Vinyl/linoleum must go. Some day the carpet will disappear too in trade for wood or bamboo flooring.

• Obviously paint. I may do the right wall (with the purse hangar) as a feature wall. Or find some of those wall decals and do something interesting with that.

• The electrical outlets and switch plates need to be changed to white.

• The smoke detector is older than me and I'd like to change it out for a white one with a combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector.

• Our doorbell is pretty much nonexistent. There's a button outside the door, but the "bell box" was missing from the wall when we moved in. Doorbells have become quite ritzy in the last few years. They've got bells with six different rings and even holiday themed ones. That might be too weird for me. 

Light fixtures. No idea what yet, but it must happen and we're hoping to have them on a dimmer switch.

I'm gonna post the picture again so you will not be confused about where I'm talking about...


• On the short wall to the left (with the light switches) we plan to hang a mirror and a thick wooden coat rack underneath it. The coat rack is a dark wood and has a nice sized shelf on top. The mirror will be in the same shade. 

• At some point I hope we can switch out the front door. I don't know exactly what I want yet, and I'm sure it'll be quite a discussion between G and I as he will most probably be very picky about it. heh

No comments:

Post a Comment