1.31.2012

Deck Dreams


I've finally bit the bullet and began to move forward, formulating and working on my ideas to make our deck more inviting and relaxing. Since leaving LA, I've missed having an outdoor living space and I want to make what we have now even better than our little nook we previously had.

When we moved here we brought our bar table from our LA pad, but we ended up totally and completely neglecting it. It sat alone and sad down in the side yard, out of sight and out of mind. The wood table top was completely ruined by the rain and the day before yesterday I finally cleaned all the junk off of it and removed the trashed top.


Gary decided Teak would trump our old oak top and after much searching I finally found the perfect one...

Via Outdoor Restaurant Seating

Of course we need the largest and most expensive one ( 36", $140 ), and I will still need to carefully cut a hole in the middle so we can put in an umbrella. I can't tell you how long it took me and how frustrating it was trying to find websites that sold ONLY table tops. Majority of my search was links to replace those ugly glass patio tables, thankfully I was able to find a gem in the middle of all the weeds.

The completed table will go on the north side of the deck, with a nice view of the mountains, and at the south end, which currently looks like this...


I plan to build a little lounge area! I saw a post on Stylizimo Blog about using a crib mattress to make a chaise lounge for a sofa. Unfortunately I can't fit a sofa + chaise there, but I can make my own little "couch". The plan is to build a basic frame for it, and after setting the mattress on it I want it to be tall enough so if we wanted to move the table over to use at the lounge, it'd not look/feel awkward.

I'll be putting a protective plastic cover on the mattress to protect it from rain and the dampness we often have and will layer it in comfy blankets and pillows. I want to have two nice looking storage boxes to slide underneath it to put the blankets and pillows in when the weather is nasty (we get some pretty nasty wind here too).

The grill you see in the photo will move further to the right so it'll sit right in the middle of the deck, not too far or too close to the table and lounge area. My hope is to have these little projects done before my birthday as I am hoping to have a pool party with a bunch of girlfriends and I want to have a nice, relaxing hang out spot for the evening. I'm picturing either a lot of jewel tones or more of a caribbean island feel. I'll have to see where my heart takes me once the basics are all set up.

In the meantime aka till I have the funds, I'm still working on getting a job. I had a great interview today and I am really excited about this place and the opportunities I could have there. Also I'd be working with one of my favorite things! I have my fingers crossed incredibly tight and am studying up as much as I can so I have a good amount of basic knowledge before I hopefully get the call for a second interview.

As for my weekend, my parents came to visit. My Mom and I made a wonderful enchilada dinner for everyone and then we all chilled on the couch and watched Once Upon A Time. Didn't really do it for me, but I'm very picky about how my favorite fairy tales are handled. Oh! And my Mom brought me an adorable little topiary for my current patio table. 



I finally get to use my beautiful, aged "Rosebud" pot. It all looks so perfect!

xoxo,
    Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment