4.19.2011

Head, meet Wall

The last few days I've felt immensely frustrated with my lack of a job and inability to get through college and get the education I want.

For weeks now I've been filling out applications left and right at numerous places. I'm looking for a job in retail, as I enjoy working that type of job very much, but not a call have I received.

As for school, last semester I was lucky to get one class that also happened to be a zero credit class. This semester I got two classes, and with the way things are going in this state and the endless budget cuts to education, I may find that no classes will be offered during the summer semester and per one counselor, classes might be down to 90 (In good times 150+ classes were offered) by the time Fall semester hits.

It's a vicious cycle right now of people losing their jobs and running back to school to further their education to get a better job, but then getting out and finding there's still no jobs. Of course, that all depends on ones major.

My aim is to get through general education so I can apply to the Radiologic Technology program, then push a bit further to become a Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Ultrasound). At the rate I'm going, it's going to take me 4+ years just to get through general-ed. It's driving me batty! I just want to get to a point where I have a good steady job, can afford to achieve my top two life goals, and feel like I've made good use of my opportunities and improved my knowledge.

Instead I feel like I'm continuously walking into a wall that won't budge and that I can't just walk around.

Believe me, I know... no one ever said life would be easy and I know that one has to overcome obstacles along the journey to their dreams. I just wish the school part of it was at least easier. I'm not even talking about the learning itself, that will have it's own difficulties. I'd appreciate the opportunity to GET classes so I can jump into the struggle of being a good student and feel like I'm on the way to getting somewhere with a career.

Gary's advised me to focus on getting a job, and letting things happen as they will. I agree and know that I can't control everything to the 'nth degree that I'd like. Still, I cry out against the difficulty of one getting an education and how expensive it is. I know CA has the cheapest community college fees of any junior college, but setting ones sights higher to get into a university is quite daunting. Tuition fees are insane and lately I joke that the only way I could ever get into a University is if we win the lottery.

What I am working on is getting my Native American Citizenship papers, because they offer assistance with college. Once I get through all that and find out what my options are, I hope... but won't count on, getting enough help that I may be able to seriously consider going to one of the local Universities.

So... this is my situation and I just needed to rant. Tomorrow is another day and some new opportunity could arise. I just gotta keep trudging along and do whatever I can to make something happen for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment