4.27.2011

Down a different path...



Since visiting the Natural History Museum in LA with my sister a few weeks back, it's prompted a change of heart. I so thoroughly enjoyed working in the lab, and it transported me back to how much I loved being in science class/labs in high school.

Like any college student, I've changed my mind about what I want to study a couple times now, but I think I've finally found exactly what I would love to do.

Since 2006 I've been heavily into the Green movement, reading constantly about green architecture,
specifically pre-fab home and landscape design. I've been looking for ways to be greener in my everyday life, from recycling plastic bags, working to use fabric bags for groceries, recycling, changing light bulbs, looking into solar and wind energy options, and finding a greener alternative to my car.

I LOVE thinking about and working to do these things, making my home and myself live more sustainably.

And now with my project of growing my own vegetables and possibly having a few hens for fresh eggs, I really want to study something that is good for myself and good for the earth. After expressing disappointment that my community college doesn't seem to have much in regards to "green jobs" training  he told me I should look at Cal Poly Pomona.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that they had a huge agricultural department and a great architecture department as well.

They have so much hands-on learning opportunities available and acres of land devoted to farming, greenhouses, livestock and much more.

I've made an appt to see my college counselor to change my current major to a transfer degree.
I'm hoping it won't be stretching myself beyond ability to major in Landscape Design and minor in Agricultural Sciences. I'll obviously have to discuss how that works out with my counselor.
Also, this is an opportunity to use both degrees as one, or work in one and fall back on the other if need be.

I'm really excited to start working on this. I finally mailed my request for my state birth certificate to begin the process of getting my tribal affiliation in order so I can have help with paying for college and I'm hoping to find a seminar to attend on FAFSA so I can better understand how it works.

So this is where I am now and I am very excited. Cal Poly also has an open campus program during the summer and if I can get the money to afford it, I won't have to worry about taking classes at Chaffey, I can hopefully get better classes during Cal Poly's open summer session.

As far the garden project, Erik will be coming over sometime this weekend to finish getting all the rocks and debris out of the yard so we can start the process of building a raised bed. Gary and I are looking for a good composter and I'm hoping that when we attend the Earth Day Festival in Claremont in Saturday that I'll be able to talk to someone to point me in the right direction for a dependable composter and educate me more on how to do it.

Not only do we have the Earth Day event in Claremont, but Friday through Sunday is the Lemon Festival in Downtown Upland. The booth line-up there isn't looking all that exciting to me, but I still want to go check it out. I'll be posting pics of what I see at the events.

No comments:

Post a Comment